Today at the Campus say the 1st ever 2008 derby where the Sky Blues faced off against the Maroons.

It was the Sky Blues who came out of the traps well with Lachlan scoring early from a tight angle. It was all 1 way traffic but chance after chance was missed by the Sky Blues & they were soon paying the penalty as first Aaron Condie & then Ollie netted for the Maroons. Right on the whistle Mark S added a 3rd.

Paddy pulled a goal back early in the 2nd period only for Ollie to restore the Maroons 2 goal lead. Robbie pulled another goal back for the Sky Blues but again the Maroons replied through Aaron’s 2nd of the game to make it 5-3 with 1 period remaining.

Paddy again made it a 1 goal game when he converted early in the final 3rd but a fine solo goal by Ollie made it 6-4 going into the final couple of minutes.

All seemed lost for the Sky Blues but a penalty right on full time was spanked home by Paddy to complete his hat-trick to give them what seemed like a late consolation.

Incredibly the scoring wasn’t finished though. Fully 5 minutes into stoppage time there was a final twist to the game.

A short Sky Blues corner was squared to Lochie. He took a touch & belted the ball from 15 yards into the net, via the bottom of the post. That sparked amazing scenes as the final whistle went seconds later as the game ended 6-6.

Lots of positives from today’s game. For the Maroons, Ollie scored 3, Aaron was back to his best, the defenders did well & Kyron’s “dragback” was a thing of beauty.

Paddy’s hat-trick & Fraser’s passing meant the Sky Blues were always in the game. Cameron made some great saves in the goal, proving that working hard at home is paying dividends but the moment of the day has to be after Lochie’s equalising goal. 

Try telling these 9/10 year old boys that results don’t matter! 

The parents must’ve got a bit of a buzz watching the boys playing today. The standard was good, the effort was exceptional & the attitude was great.

Well done boys.


Our Sponsors